Help! I’m a victim of identity theft! What do I do?

Identity theft is a crime. First, contact your local law enforcement agency, so that you can report the crime and fill out any forms or affidavits. Second, contact your bank and the companies who issued any credit cards to you. If your company or business laptop, mobile device (like a tablet or smart phone), or business credit card was stolen, let your employer know immediately. Third, contact the three major credit reporting agencies, which are Equifax, Transunion, and Experian, so that they can place "fraud alerts" on your credit accounts.  Fourth and finally, tell Equifax, Transunion, and Experian that you are an identity theft victim and ask each of them for a copy of your annual credit report. This is called a "consumer disclosure," which they must provide to you for free under certain circumstances including when you are a victim of identity theft. Your consumer disclosure contains your current and past addresses, closed and open credit accounts, banks accounts, credit lines, employment history, and other personal information. With it, you will be able to tell if an identity thief opens (or even tries to open) new credit accounts in your name. Then, call Kirby Law, P.C., so that we can help you fight back.